Monday, January 15, 2018

Desert Mirage - 18+

I got to contribute a tiny bit of animation to the 2016 Indie feature-length live-action/ animation hybrid - Desert Mirage. It's a very crazy film, and it's not for everyone. It contains crude humour, language and other things not appropriate for minors.
Rough Animation by: Segun O. Mosuro
Clean-Up, Ink and Paint by: Bobby Soto (see his reel from the project here: https://youtu.be/cMZKExpW1Do?t=37s)
I think Bobby Soto did a great job of following up my animation.

I did about 4-5 seconds of (fully inbetweened) rough animation for the film. I animated the Racoon character, Riley, seen below.
The gig came in 2014, at a time when I was doing a lot of cut-out animation at my day job, and it was a welcome break for me.




Above: Some animation drawings from the first shot.
Medium: Adobe Flash - Brush Tool

The first shot was animated and inbetweened in Flash (now Animate), while the second shot was animated traditionally with pencil and paper. It was all animated on Ones. I'm not too happy with the acting in the lip sync part, I think I used too many poses for that line of dialogue.

Above: My animation thumbnails for the second shot.
Medium: Ball-point pen and pencil on paper.

Below: Some of my animation roughs for the shot.



Medium: Pencil on paper

The bulk of the crew worked remotely, with Chad Kaplan being the Animation Director and Character Designer. We all kind of drew the characters differently...

If you would like to see the film, kindly order it via their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/desertmiragemovie/

No comments: